Icon General Appliance Safety Icon Leak_dark Emergencies Extreme Weather
General Appliance Safety Gas Leaks Emergencies Extreme Weather
Call 811 Avoid Scams Pipeline Safety Carbon Monoxide firstrespondersymbol
Call SC 811 Avoid Scams Pipeline Safety Carbon Monoxide Emergency Officials


Extreme Weather


 Gas pipelines are buried underground and are not often affected by wind, rain, or storms. However, severe weather including summer storms, hurricanes, and winter ice could damage your appliances or affect your gas supply.

If you experience a gas outage call

  1-866-578-4427, opt 3

 Before the Storm  After the Storm
Natural gas lines require you to take no special precautions. There is no need to turn off your gas meter.

If you have any resulting storm damage, check natural gas appliances for possible damage or leaks. If you smell a strong sulfur odor, leave immediately and call York County Natural Gas Authority at 1-866-201-1001.

If no smell is present, operation of natural gas appliances should be safe. If a natural gas generator was in use for several days,

the oil should be checked, and changed,

if necessary.

 During the Storm Storm Repair 

Most natural gas cooking and water heating appliances will continue to operate safely without electricity. Some may require that you manually light the product, and this should be done according to the appliance manufacturer’s instructions.


During clean-up and repair, avoid natural gas interruption and damage to the gas lines by calling 888-721-7877 before digging.


In the Event of a Flood Fallen Trees Can Damage Underground Utilities

> Turn off electrical power to each appliance and leave it off.

> Shut off the natural gas valve at each natural gas appliance.

> Do not change the valve settings on the natural gas meter or piping to the meter setting.


 Take care when removing fallen trees or grinding tree stumps. Fallen trees can damage buried underground utilities, creating a dangerous situation. South Carolina law requires everyone to always call 811 before beginning any excavation or demolition project.
If You Smell a Strong Gas Odor After a Flood  What to Do After a Flood

> If you notice a strong gas odor (similar to rotten eggs), or if there is other evidence

of a natural gas leak, do not enter the building or area. If you smell the "rotten egg" odor

of natural gas inside your home, leave immediately.

> Avoid open flames or anything that could spark, including cell phones, lights, garage doors, motor vehicles, power tools, electrical equipment, etc. From a safe place, call 911 and York County Natural Gas at 866.201.1001. 

> Stay nearby until a gas company representative arrives, or leave a note on your door stating where you can be reached.

> Do not return until you receive an all-clear sign.

flooded house


 After returning home, customers who believe their natural gas appliances have been damaged by water must have the equipment inspected and serviced by a qualified contractor before York County Natural Gas Authority can restore your natural gas service. Do not attempt to place natural gas appliances back in service by yourself. A licensed plumber or contractor will check, clean, repair and pressure test all gas pipes, which may have been clogged with mud or debris. If water levels were enough to cover the natural gas meter, call the gas company

at 866-201-1001 to check your meter and regulator before using your natural gas system. Flood waters may have shifted your home or caused other stresses to the gas piping, possibly resulting in a natural gas leak. As wet electrical wiring is extremely hazardous, ensure the main electrical supply is shut off.

The appropriate jurisdictional inspector must inspect all electrical wiring in buildings that have been partially or fully covered by floodwater before being put into service again. Any loose wires should be considered "live" and a definite hazard.


Keep natural gas meters clear of snow and ice.

> Gently brush away any snow or ice that has accumulated around the meter, regulator vent and any other outdoor piping.

> Clear the snow or ice using a broom or by hand - not with a shovel.

> Do not push or pile snow around your meter when plowing, snow blowing, or shoveling.

> Clear a path to your meter so York County Natural Gas employees and emergency responders can access it in an emergency.


Keep outdoor appliance vents clear of snow and ice.

> All outdoor appliance vents should be cleared of snow and ice. It’s particularly important to keep sidewall vents clear of snow and ice, so that they can exhaust properly.

> Clogged vents may cause your appliance to shut down or malfunction and create a hazardous situation, such as a build-up of carbon monoxide.


Watch for falling snow or ice near your natural gas meter.

> Falling snow and ice can cause serious damage to your natural gas meter or regulator.

> Be aware of the locations of utility meters when removing snow and ice from your roof

or contact a qualified roofing contractor to do this for you.


Look out for icicles overhanging
natural gas equipment, which
could fall and damage it.  





Suspect a Leak?

If you do, leave the premises immediately and call the dedicated emergency line from a cell phone or a neighbor's phone:


or call 911 

Quick Guide: Signs of a Natural Gas Leak

What You See

  Abnormally high pilot flame

  Vapor cloud/mist

  Dirt/debris blown in air

  Collection of dead insects

  Abnormal dead/dying vegetation

What You Smell
  Rotten egg-like odor
What You Hear
  Unusual hissing/roaring

 Click HERE for more information